It’s Fall, so everything pumpkin is in order. Try this delicious variation on a chili recipe that the whole family will love. You can even make it vegetarian by removing the turkey and switching the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey or 15 oz can of white kidney beans for vegetarian version
- 15 oz can of cannellini beans
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 12 oz of pumpkin beer
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree, not pie filling
- 3 oz of tomato paste
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp crushed chipotle chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Sour cream, chives and shredded cheese for toppings
On medium, heat the olive oil and sauté onions, and garlic until tender
Add in ground turkey. Cook until the meat is brown throughout.
Add all seasonings and tomato paste. Stir and cook for additional 2 mins.
Add beer, stir to remove all the golden bits from the pan
Add chicken stock and pumpkin puree, stir
Rinse beans and add to pot
Add tomatoes, stir.
Add chopped peppers.
Simmer on low for 1 hr or more for flavours to blend.
Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped jalapeños and chives