Thinking about how to make a mobile kitchen? This post is for you! Here, we’re sharing what mobile kitchen appliances are a must-have (and nice-to-have!) for a great camp cooking experience. Scroll down!
If you love camping or are on the road 24/7 with no end date, you definitely need a mobile kitchen! But what is a mobile kitchen? Well, depending on your budget, it can be:
- A modified van with built-in kitchen gear
- A portable, well-organized cooking station where you can keep the food, stove, and utensils all within reach
- A set of versatile mobile kitchen appliances.
With the right kitchen for travel, you’ll significantly increase the overall enjoyment of the outdoors, make camp cooking far more comfortable, and feed hungry mouths with no hassle!
However, today’s market offers hundreds of various utensils and gadgets for the mobile kitchen, making it difficult to know which ones are worth the money and which are not. We’ve put together this mobile kitchen equipment list so that you can make an educated guess and pick the right things for your camp cooking. Let’s get to it!
Portable Kitchen Station
If you often go camping with kids you may want to cook healthy meals for them. It’ll be straightforward to realize all your menu ideas with a mobile kitchen station.
What features to look for in such a station?
- It must be lightweight, foldable, portable, and with adjustable yet sturdy legs.
- There should be pop-up windscreens to keep the wind out and the heat in.
- Collapsible tabletops should provide enough working space.
- To keep bugs away from your food and cookware, opt for zipped cloth cupboards that come with a station.
- It’ll be even more convenient if your on-the-road kitchen boasts such extras as a side-mounted towel rack, a spice rack, a removable dishwashing bin, a dedicated overhead hook for a camping lantern.
A high-quality station is a great investment if you’re always on the road. Besides, it can become a life-saving mobile kitchen for a home in case you’re planning to completely renovate your kitchen and need something temporary to cook meals and store appliances.
A camp stove is an indispensable device for a big family enjoying frequent car camping. We recommend a 1- or 2-burner propane stove – it’s versatile and easy to use. If you prefer a 2-burner stove, make sure it’s large enough to accommodate your cookware. On the other hand, the camp stove should feature a slim design to be lightweight and portable.
Improve the quality and freshness of your meals and enjoy a cold beer with a cooler for camping! You won’t ruin your family budget when investing in this device – this is another great reason to purchase it!
Look for lightweight construction, reliable latch system, thick insulated walls, and prolonged ice-retention.
To make cooking at the campsite convenient and enjoyable, you’ll need a few pieces of dedicated camp cookware. Opt for a cast-iron set that includes a griddle, skillet, and Dutch oven. Such a set is a durable and versatile option – you can use it for cooking over the fire and on the stove. My kitchen advisor can boast a wide range of cast iron cookware and knows how to use & maintain these pots and pans and what to cook in them.
Camp Tableware and Utensils
Your regular tableware can be too fragile or too bulky to use outdoors, so it’s a bad idea to take it to the campsite! Go for specially designed items:
- All-in-one utensils, e.g., a multitool with a sharp knife, screwdrivers, pliers, saw, scissors, and more
- Multi-purpose, lightweight tableware kits with waterproof, durable containers and collapsible cups
- A foldable spatula and ladle
- Thin, lightweight yet durable cutting boards
- A knife with a fully enclosed sheath
- Heat-resistant gloves for cooking over the fire.
Hate cleaning up at the campsite? Everyone does! Well, dishwashing can be a much faster and much more enjoyable experience for you with a collapsible sink. Choose the one of a perfect size that collapses flat down.
You need packers where you’ll comfortably keep your cookware, tableware, and foods; the right system will level up your entire camping experience! Go for durable, large enough storage bins with sturdy latches. Another great option is a soft-sided adjustable organizer. You can accommodate various dishware and pantry ingredients there. Besides, such storage provides good ventilation if the tableware wasn’t put away perfectly dry.
Finally, when you buy all the necessary stuff for your mobile kitchen, it’s time to think about how you will pack it. You need a capacious case, something like an organizational tote for crafters. It should open at the top and reveal large storage space; additional storage sections, sleeves with pockets on its front and sides are also a must. Choose an easy to maneuver carrier on wheels with an extendable and retractable handle and strong handles on the side. These features ensure you’ll be able to easily load/unload the case from the car and wheel it like a standard suitcase.
Hopefully, our mobile kitchen appliances list will help you build your own perfect outdoor kitchen station! If you have anything to add to our list, do tell us in the comment section below!
By Joe Labonte
Joe is passionate about traveling and always plotting his next adventure. Joe’s wife and their kids share his passion, so they’ve already traveled half the world. Joe enjoys writing in his free time and sharing his experience.